Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 8 Redux

Before I move on to Day 9, I need to apologize for the punchy nature of Day 8's post. After some thought, I realized that when coupled with a description of the train-wreck that is teething, appreciation for those around me kind of took on a hint of insincerity, especially if a hint is a floodlight and insincerity is a large purple hippo.

I meant to convey that I enjoy writing letters. If I wrote letters to everyone I appreciate, I could write many letters. Even though I didn't have time to write as many letters, I had a lot of time to think about the people I appreciate. And, I could have written more and certainly better letters if it weren't for the aforementioned incident with the train. See how the tone is ending up the same? Again? Watch. Heartfelt sincere gratitude. Sounds nice doesn't it? Teething. Now it just sounds irreverent. The incongruity of those terms somehow makes the whole thing sound like a Monty Python skit -rendering anything I say about being grateful rather useless. Maybe you should imagine John Cleese reading this post. I just did, and frankly it's what made me add the part about the hippo.

No comments:

Post a Comment